Monday, February 14, 2011

Walt: The Man Behind the Myth

CNBC aired the two hour documentary "Walt: The Man Behind the Myth," a few weeks ago, and I have had it sitting in my DVR box, but I finally had the chance to sit down and watch it the other night.

It is Great!

I highly recommend you check this documentary out.  It is 2 hours long, covers everything from Walt's birth to his death, and even includes a bit about the Walt Disney Family Museum.

What I especially liked about this piece, was the fact that there was a lot of new (new to me) video, of Walt, his family, the studio.  Most documentaries that I have seen up until this point, have always relied on the same "stock" footage of Walt, and this piece goes above and beyond that using home movies, and rarer bits of archival footage, as well as the old standbys.

I also really enjoyed seeing the interviews with Disney Legends, his family members, and soon to be legends (John Hench, Frank Thomas, Ollie Johnson, Marc Davis, Marty Sklar, the Sherman Brothers, Diane Disney Miller, John Lasseter...the list goes on and on and on - 75 interviews in all)

My only complaint is that the piece felt rushed.  Trying to fit the life and times of Walt Disney into 2 hours is a heck of a task, and I frankly wish there was a little more time given to every aspect of the documentary.

Nick's take on Uncle Walt's Documentary

What did you think of this documentary? Did you see it?

For more info: CNBC: Walt Disney Documentary

No comments:

Post a Comment