Wednesday, August 24, 2011

The House from 'UP' Built in Real Life

I saw this article this morning in the NY Times.  Apparently it is an approved 'UP' house, that was build in real life and was based on the house from the Disney/Pixar film 'UP' of course!

Click here for the original article. There is also a photo gallery.
'Up' House IRL



There is one major problem I have with this 'Up' House...it is in UTAH?  Why couldn't it be somewhere on the east coast, or even Austin, TX? This is a moot point because I couldn't afford the $400k price tag (if this house were in the northeast the price would be way more then that).  But still, I would love the ability to check this place out, and maybe have the opportunity at some point in my lifetime to own it.  I will be honest though, there is no way I would ever move to Utah, sorry Utah, nothing personal.

I have seen a few of these houses show up on the news before; I believe - in fact, that there are a few houses modeled after the Simpson's home and I believe they are all located in the various Springfield's throughout the country.  I don't recall if any of those houses were ever approved by Matt Groening et al.

The article goes on to discuss the fact that the home builder had a friend, who had a friend, who dealt with Disney in some legal capacity.  And while the builder thought at first that he could just build the house - to hell with the consequences, he did ask his friends to approach Disney to approve the plans.  While the parties were going back and forth, the detailed architectural plans supposedly ended up on Pete Doctor's desk, who according to anonymous sources requested that Disney allow the house to be built. 

The NY Times puts it best, "Mr. Docter wields considerable power at the studio; “Up” sold over $731 million at the global box office, and his other credits include “Monsters, Inc.” and writing for the “Toy Story” franchise."

There are a lot of things to love about this story.  For one, I love that this guy had a passion for this movie, and wanted to build this house.  I love that Disney and Pixar decided to let him build it.   However, at the end of the article there is one comment that made me angry, one of the neighbors said (and I am paraphrasing here) that if she bought the house she would paint the exterior brown, so it would blend in with the rest of the house...

WHAT? If you want a brown house, that blends in, go and buy a brown house, I feel like I am taking crazy pills.

If you could live in any Disney/Pixar house, which one would it be?

I would want to live in The Incredibles house.  I LOVE mid-century modern/atomic ranch style homes, and every time I see the Incredible house I wish I could live there.  Maybe I should ask for permission from Disney to build it?

1 comment:

  1. dear,
    all mens/womens
    I read your blog, its really awesome,
    I have also a site related to you.
    Normal people can use the same techniques that professional home builders use to sell their homes in a slowing real estate market. How to get a full price quickly.

    Best Renovation Builder


    Your regards
    bfjohn carry

    ReplyDelete