Friday, July 22, 2011

We're Back! Lets talk buses

Just returned from a short trip to WDW, and you guessed it, the trip was too short!  However now that we are back, lets talk about the buses.


I feel like the bus situation in WDW is in need of an update.  Think back to your last trip, and now try and remember all of the time you spent waiting around for a bus, or transferring etc.  I don't know if I have so much fun while in the parks that I have only selective memory when it comes to the on site transportation, but there is a lot of time being wasted with these buses.



I was trying to come up with a solution to the problem when it finally hit me - wake-up call!  I know that seems a little strange, but let me explain.

I am sure that I am like you in many ways, and when in WDW - my family, or group gets together at night and says, "What park should we go to tomorrow?"  This is followed by a session of strategizing and comparing park opening and closing times divided by the number of days we are planning on staying in WDW...etc, etc. There is a science and mathematics behind the decision but eventually a destination is picked.

The follow-up question is then, "What time does the park open/when should we get up?"  The answer to that question largely depends on your morning routine.  But then, and here's where my change would come in, most people reach for the phone and set up a morning wake up call.  This past week every morning I awoke to Stitch screaming nonsense into my ear.

If I was an Imagineer...I propose that Disney could change the wake-up call setup to a program that is a questionnaire, and perhaps filled out on the in-room television using the remote control.  To start it would ask you to set your wake-up call time for the next morning.  It would then ask what park you were planning on attending the next day, and what time you planned on going out to the bus in the morning, three simple questions that could make wait times for buses - low low low.

Using this information then, Disney could better estimate the need for buses throughout the resort complex.  And this information could not only help plan for extra buses, but extra cast members (if they know most resort guests are attending the Magic Kingdom, there can be more ticket takers on the ready), make sure the Disney Dining is ready (perhaps with a few extra carafes of coffee in the restaurants on Main Street, USA). 

I believe that this idea could help make the wait times for buses to and from the parks and resorts a much more time friendly system.  Perhaps as an incentive to filling out the questionnaire there could be a one time use fast pass for any ride in the park that prints out when you put your park ticket into the machine at the front gate? That would be quite a reward!

1 comment:

  1. I think there should be an amendment to this process. When you put what park you're going to, you should say what time you'd like to be at the park. We inevitably want to be at a park at opening, only to go out to the buses and have to wait half an hour for a bus, and then underestimate the time it takes to get to the park, putting us way behind our intended schedule.

    You could say, I want to be at Magic Kingdom at 10 am, and the response could be you have to be out to the buses at 8:45, and you can set your wake-up call accordingly. It certainly wouldn't be an exact science as buses invariably get delayed at times, but it could get you out at around your intended time, especially when meeting friends who are staying at other hotels.

    ReplyDelete