Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Coincidence?

I wanted to do two things with this post, I wanted to give you a quick look into the future, and let you know what I am currently working on, and also to point out an interesting coincidence I have found.  And admittedly it may or may not be a coincidence at all, but you can decide.

The upcoming post I am working on is a review/synopsis/analysis of Victor Gruen's - The Heart of Our Cities .  This is the book, which I am sure every Disney fan knows (Well now you know!), was found on Walt Disney's desk when he died.  And as I will talk about at length in the upcoming post, was probably a key piece in shaping the original plans for EPCOT.



While reading Gruen's book, I noticed something that looked rather familiar, and that leads me to the coincidence I hinted at just a paragraph or two ago.  Check this out:

For a color picture, look at the dust jacket of the book above.  And now here is a black and white version: 
Victor Gruen's plan for the perfect city.

While looking over Gruen's plans as he details them in his book, I found an interesting design.

Look closely at the more central section, the five pods in a star pattern, surrounding the central hub.


Now turn your head slightly, does it remind you of anything?


His plans, in my opinion seem to look like something....something I have seen before, possibly Disney related, what, oh what could that thing be, perhaps:




The original EPCOT logo?



I like to think of this as perhaps an hommage, an hommage that has been sitting in plain sight for quite some time now.  Or perhaps it is just a complete and total coincidence.

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment